Thursday, December 10, 2009

HDTVs and Seeing Real Beauty















I thought that last year was the "big year" for flat screen televisions for the holidays but as I look at the ads, discounts are available this year as well. Last year we did end up splurging and buying a large HDTV. I had heard that the picture can be life-like, almost as if the people were standing in front of me. What I did not realize is how "real" people appeared and they lost their flawless image. When watching on my former box TV, anchor men and women would appear ageless with smooth, perfect skin. Now when watching our television, people have uneven skin tones and wrinkles around their eyes and mouth. Their hair has fly aways like mine and their teeth are not as straight or white as I remembered.

I was taken back initially by this as it was such a change, almost as if they had aged overnight. But now I appreciate it because we live in a world of perfection as the targeted goal and air brushing is the norm in magazines, online photos and other forms of media. It does seem more "real" seeing them clearly on HDTV and I think this is exactly what people need to see; that not everybody is flawless but beautiful just being themselves.

We came across this post on Entrepreneurial Menopause Freedom and wanted to share it with you. The author writes about how she felt after being interviewed and then broad casted in HDTV without a make-up artist available to her. It is honest and does drive the question: Why are we so hard on ourselves when it comes to aging and physical changes?

Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment